04. Related QM Resources
PDF RESOURCES ON SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Sustainable environments: animal survival
1. How do creatures survive in their environments? (PDF 2MB) - A study of how some of the animals found on south Stradbroke Island survive in their environment. This activity utilises the Sun, Sand, Salt and Survival (SSSS) kits available for borrowing from QML Loans. This kit is also available as two separate kits: Wetlands; and Woodlands to Sea. It also contains some specimen analysis worksheets.
2. Survival information card (PDF 375KB) - A specimen analysis that leads students to create their own information card about how their chosen creature survives in its environment. This activity is modelled on the SSSS kit's approach to creating information cards. Students can create their own kit or exhibition.
Sustainable environments: human impacts
3. Impacts on native populations (PDF 1.6MB) – A case study approach to analysing human impact on animal populations. A series of slides featuring displays from Queensland Museum's Endangered Species exhibition is presented.
4. Where have all the animals gone? (PDF 509KB) – A case study approach to analysing how changing environmental conditions have affected animal populations. What can we do in the future to minimise this impact?
5. Creating a Natural History exhibition (PDF 544KB) – A guide to creating a natural history exhibition on human impacts on native populations. A case study of the koala in urban environments is presented.
6. Sustainable Living Practices – Teacher Notes (PDF 669KB) - A Teacher's Guide to using domestic objects as a basis for investigating sustainable living practices. It addresses issues of sustainability through SOSE and Technology essential learnings, and is suitable for Middle School.
7. Sustainable Living Practices – Student Activities (PDF 872KB) - A Student’s Activity Guide to using domestic objects as a basis for investigating sustainable living practices. It addresses issues of sustainability through SOSE essential learnings and is suitable for Middle School.
8. Sustainable Objects fact sheet (PDF 842KB) - Descriptions of objects found in QM Loans Sustainable Living kit. It describes the use of washboards, candle holders, curling tongs, flat iron, orange squeezer, petrol iron, kerosene tins, rolling pins and other artefacts.
9. Object Analysis worksheet (21KB) – A data table that assists in recording observations on the history, physical features, construction, function, design and value of objects and artefacts.
10. Water Usage, Living today and in the early 20th Century (1MB) - A data table that shows how much water is used for general household activities. It gives usage as a rate in litres per minute or as a total volume for the activity. It also compares water usage with that of the past and outlines some of the daily activities and chores that were done in previous centuries.
11. What do you know about Sustainable Living? (PDF 92KB) - A survey that asks questions about what the user knows about sustainable living practices.
12. What do you do about Sustainable Living? (PDF 70KB) - A survey that asks questions about what the user does about sustainable living.
13. Sustainable House Design – Teacher Notes (PDF 495KB) - A Teacher's Guide to an integrated curriculum unit on sustainable house design for the middle years of schooling. The guide includes helpful suggestions on how to implement and manage the house design projects for students.
14. Sustainable House Design – Student Notes (PDF 255KB) - A Student's Guide to an integrated curriculum unit on sustainable house design for the middle years of schooling. The guide includes learning activities in Science, SOSE, Technology, English, Mathematics and ICTs.